Saturday, July 24, 2010

Smart People

Old 1 Day Ago #29
Running Like God
Stars: rat sauce 89
FTP: Unfortunate 89

Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 912
Default

Two quotes that really inspired me when i made my decision

Your time is limited, so don't waste it living someone else's life. Don't be trapped by dogma - which is living with the results of other people's thinking. Don't let the noise of other's opinions drown out your own inner voice. And most important, have the courage to follow your heart and intuition. They somehow already know what you truly want to become. Everything else is secondary."
- Steve Jobs

"Almost everything--all external expectations, all pride, all fear of embarrassment or failure--these things just fall away in the face of death, leaving only what is truly important. Remembering that you are going to die is the best way I know to avoid the trap of thinking you have something to lose. You are already naked. There is no reason not to follow your heart."
-Steve Jobs


Registered User

reasons14's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 571
Default

I'd rather make 50k a year and enjoy my job than 90k and hate it.

At the end of the day, money isn't everything. I know a lot of depressed rich people who have fucked up lives, poker players and normal job workers alike.

"Choose a job you love, and you will never have to work a day in your life."
— Confucius

I've always found a sense of comfort in the above quote, which is why I decided to become a music education major...a major in which I might be able to make 40k/year tops. Luckily I have poker atm and can make 40k+ a year until it "dies out". I'll still be teaching private lessons and doing gigs in the mean time. I don't think i'll have that hard of a problem getting a job if/when i want one considering my mom and my sister are both orchestra directors.

You really have to weigh how easy/hard it is to get a job if you have the need to go back. From the sounds of it, you won't have that hard of a time. Yeah, you might have to take an initial pay cut at first, but you'll be fine for sure. I think if you don't do this, the lingering thought about how it could be different will remain in the back of your head.

Again, money isn't the be all end all to everything, It's a tool that allows you to gain materialistic needs in your physical life. I think you know you would be happier with making a little less but having more freedom, or you wouldn't be that likely to be posting this. Society, media, friends, whatever, all have a warped perception that money equals happiness. Don't let any social discrepancies or the "invisible crowd" influence that you really want.

1 comment:

  1. I like this post. Toni Sabas, you should really be reading this blog too if you like the above stuff:

    http://www.wethinkllc.com/blog/

    ReplyDelete